Thursday, October 25, 2012

Seems like we've been here before.....

I am much too familiar with this hospital.....

We are back at Harris Methodist Ft. Worth.

Dad had another fall last night/early morning.  Due to the number of falls and his current condition the Home Health nurse instructed mom to call 911 the next time he fell.  Well that time came this morning. I got the call from mom just before leaving for work.  Fortunately I made it to her house before the ambulance left and we were able to follow them to the hospital. 

Emergency Room...been here before.  Two times before.  We were assigned he same ER doctor he had 6 1/2 years ago.  I know you are wondering how I could remember  such a thing.  You are probably thinking wow Julie what a memory. Yes, it's true. I am like an elephant...in size and memory.  Anyway, I will never forget the ER trip he had 6 1/2 years ago or the cocky ER doctor who showed little concern for our situation.   Dr. C (I'll protect the guilty by not using his full name) told us then that it was very unlikely dad would be leaving the hospital alive. Well he was wrong.   I've always dreamed of waltzing dad back through ER to prove him wrong.  But I have to admit that Dr. C had a much better bedside manner this time.  He listened to us and seemed to show genuine concern and compassion. It was a far better experience with him this time.

So after many hours in the ER watching patients come and go we are thankful that he is getting the care he needs. We are fortunate.  One CT scan and many labs later he has been admitted. The scan showed no signs of stroke or bleeding in the brain.  There are however other causes for concern. While I know he doesn't like hospital stays I am ok with this one.  He will be getting some much needed hydration.  They will also be monitoring kidney function, blood sugar, nutrition, etc.  

We are now in a room...finally. In the same building as his last several hospital stays.  Same smell to the building, same layout as the previous floors, same uncomfortable chairs in the room.  On a good note he is getting the same good care.  Some things never change.

Life will never be the same though.  We will all be changed by the events of this last year.  Someone very close to me shared with today that we grow and are changed by every day that we live.  Maybe it's the wisdom that comes with each new day that prepares us to deal with the future.  It could also be past experiences that have matured us and readied us to deal with our new circumstances.

While conventional wisdom may suggest otherwise, I will not lose hope that dad will completely recover.  My faith will not be diminished by doctors predictions.  I will cherish each day and each memory.  I will love him with all the love that my heart holds. 

Today he knows me as Julie Roxann, tomorrow it may be the water girl or 'that other blonde girl', but for today he knows me.  He knows me, he knows who I am and he knows that I love him. 

Live~Laugh~Love....exactly what I intend to do!



  

1 comment:

  1. OH MERCY ME.

    You and Amy are so awesome. The best daughters your parents could ask for...

    Praying for you all.

    ReplyDelete