Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Don't sweat the small stuff.....

How many times have I heard, or even used, the phrase 'Don't sweat the small stuff'?  Now in addition to not sweating the small stuff I am also trying to appreciate the little things each day brings. 

Life has changed pretty dramatically over the last few months and everyone in the family has had to adapt.  Thank goodness for great husbands and kiddos who are willing to pitch in and help when needed--often without being asked-- to keep things running smoothly!

So instead of sweating the fact that my house has not had a proper cleaning in many months,  I am appreciating that my guys are doing a better job of keeping things picked up and even doing laundry!

I'm no longer sweating the fact that my scale is yelling angry things at me when I dare to step on it these days--which happens pretty infrequently due to my fear of watching the growing number.  That number continues to grow because I am appreciating the Gourmet Jelly Beans that my sweet mama has been keeping in constant supply for my never ending craving.  I know that she is dipping into my inheritance to pay for those lovelys!  I am also appreciating the Peppermint Ice Cream that hubby stopped to get me last Saturday.  Gone by Wednesday...I really, really appreciated it!

Not sweating that I am not able to keep in touch or get together with some of my friends as often as I would like.    But I am definitely appreciating
those that have been on those journey with me.  Terri, My friend, my ride share, my sounding board who so graciously listens when I need to talk.
Julie, My sweet friend who checks in on me to ask if I need anything and even offers her husband's help.  Jamie, My co-worker turned friend, who is always a a source of encouragement at work.  Robbin, my friend at work who has traveled a similar road and offers a motherly hug and prayers.  These are just a few of the friends that have ridden out this personal storm with me.  Then there are those special moments when out of the blue someone says or does something for you that you don't expect.  This was the case last week when a friend from High School unexpectedly mailed me a sweet gift!  We have re-connected on Facebook and I now wonder what lifetime friendship I may have missed out on!  She was so thoughtful and sweet in thinking of me at this time when she has already 'worn my shoes' herself.  I am thankful for the people that God puts in our lives and now consider her one of my angels.

Life has new perspective now and I plan to stop sweating the small stuff--realizing most of it IS small stuff and make more time to truly appreciate the little things that bring joy, happiness and value to our lives.


“Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.”    ~Robert Brault








No comments:

Post a Comment