Friday, November 30, 2012

The End of One Journey…. The Beginning of Another

This was not the outcome we had so deeply hoped and prayed for throughout the past year.  We were supposed to have more time together, we were supposed to celebrate the holidays, we were supposed to have more time to share our love and make more memories.
Sadly, our journey ended on Monday, November 19th at 10:15 as dad departed his earthly home and entered our Lord’s presence.  That day will be eternally etched in my memory.  My heart was broken that morning as a piece of it went with my dad….only to be completed when we meet once again in heaven.   It was indeed a bittersweet moment we experienced that morning to be with him as his suffering ended.  I had hoped for a final moment of clarity that would allow us recognition that he heard our final good-byes but that was not to be.  Instead I take some comfort in the fact that my dad was surrounded and held by all of his ‘girls’ as he drew his last breath as the pastor prayed.  There is no doubt in my mind that he knew he was loved beyond measure by his family. 
We were overwhelmed with the outpouring of love, prayers, food, and flowers as people received news of his passing.  Dad would have been honored to know that he was loved by so many as was evidenced in the number of friends and family from near and far that attended his service.  I was touched by each and every person who came to show their love and respect for him as well as our family.  Despite best efforts I wasn’t able to spend as much time with everyone as I would have liked but I cherished the time I had with everyone and the memories that were shared with me of my dad.  It was another bittersweet day…. Gorgeous day with family and friends, but brought together by the saddest of circumstances.
Now our new journey begins….the journey of continuing on with our lives without our beloved father, husband and grandfather.  We will begin a new walk of faith---waiting and believing that we will be reunited with him some day.  In the meantime we will move through these next days much the same as we have the past year taking one day at a time, cherishing each day and praying for each other.  Only time will help to lessen the great sorrow we feel.  The very memories that bring happiness are also the ones that will bring sadness and tears…his empty chair next to mine at Sunday dinners, the phone calls at work just to say hello or needing tech support and perhaps most of all coming through the back gate and not finding him sitting on his beloved patio.  I would like to think that he has his own personal patio in Heaven where he can sit and enjoy the view and continue to watch over us as we journey on.
Meanwhile I am ever so grateful for the love and support of family and friends which traveled with us on this journey and continues on to this day. 

Other things may change us, but we start and end with family.   ~Anthony Brandt



My dad, my hero...I'll always love you!


No comments:

Post a Comment