Tuesday, August 7, 2012

When it rains it pours ~ Where the heck is my umbrella?

Who doesn’t like a little rain?  Who wants some rain?  I know lots of people in my corner of the world who would be tickled pink to get some good soaking rain right now.  Not only is it nine kinds of hot outside but the grass and trees are slowly fading to brown and dying, jumping into the swimming pool is like taking a warm bath and the stepping into my car after work feels like crawling into a furnace PLUS I risk 3rd degree burns from the leather seats……oops…I digress!

So rain can be good…should be good…right?!

So why do we use the phrase ‘when it rains it pours’ as a negative phrase?  (Interesting tidbit….it originated from a positive slogan about table salt…Google it!)

Suffice it to say I am using the rain phrase as a negative.  I have had more ‘rain’ than I would care for in the last year. Rain meaning problems, issues, difficulties…whatever you want to label them. This blog was a product of the ‘storm’ that hit our family last fall and placed us on the rocky path we now travel.  I still stand firmly on my faith….but it’s hard not to be shaken when you don’t see the positive outcomes you expect and desire.  We all face trials and difficult times in our lives and we simply have to do our best to endure and overcome them.  Make lemonade out of lemons...that kind of thing....so much easier said than done.

Funny how life tends to teach us perspective based on the issues and challenges we face.

Days gone by would have found me upset about boys not making their beds before going to school, hubby not cleaning up the sink good after a shave or not having any milk to go with my Oreos.  Who am I kidding….those things still drive me crazy!   So not only am I dealing with some of life’s biggest issues but I still get to deal with the irritating ‘small stuff’ that I am not supposed to sweat. Anyone keeping up with the number of cute quotes I have incorporated?  (Totally unplanned I might add—but totally appropriate!)

Dad’s brain cancer journey pretty much beats out ALL of my issues—big, little or otherwise.  The fight seems to be never ending.  When will he feel better?  When will he be stronger?  The side effects of the treatment are seemingly as bad as the cancer itself.   So I wait and watch as he struggles to rise from his chair, unsteadily making his way to the back door all the while hoping that he makes it successfully down each step to his favored patio chair without falling.  Wishing daily that he will be able to eat or drink something that will bring him some much needed nutrition and now praying that the oncologist will be able to give us some answers and direction at our visit tomorrow.

Yes, I would say that his struggles far outweigh my little issues – like returning from vacation to find my sweet co-worker left me a nice pile of incomplete work or finding out that my youngest broke his wrist during first day of band camp.  Really??  I’m not caring much for this kind of rain.  Ice Cream please!

The kind of rain I am praying for is some showers of blessings…those have been in short supply as of late.  I’m going to pull out my umbrella, throw on my galoshes and pray for some sweet showers.  When those showers come you will find me singing and dancing in the rain!



I will bless them and the places surrounding my hill. I will send down showers in season; there will be showers of blessing.     Ezekiel 34:26

No comments:

Post a Comment