Monday, August 20, 2012

Keeping Up With The Kidwell's....

Hello my my name is Julie and I am a Reality TV show junkie. 

Yes, it's true.  I am not ashamed to admit it.  And yes, I know that reality TV at best is a mindless form of entertainment, a waste of valuable time and  shouldn't be considered real entertainment. (At least that is what my husband tells me--when he is not sucked into watching it with me....LOL)
My first exposure to realtiy tv was MTV's Real World...you know 'seven strangers picked to live in a hoiuse...yadda yadda yadda'.  Throw in some Survior, Biggest Loser and those Annoying Housewives and Pageant Toddlers and I have probably seen them all.    There probably should be support groups for people like me---hey, that could be a new reality TV show---Reality Rehab by Dr. Drew!  In my defense I have really cut back on the drama reality TV and am now more interested in the DIY shows with 'real' people.  One of my new faves is Property Brothers...not just because the hosts are cutie pies but because I love the BEFORE and AFTER aspects of home projects.

Ok, so what does reality tv have to do with my blog you ask?
Not much, except that I am not loving my new reality.  Not TV reality but my real life reality.  The bad, not so good,  hard days are far outnumbering the good days.  We have to take the bad with the good.... I get it, no one has to beat me over the head to understand that concept.  But it honestly would
not hurt my feelings if there were a few more good and happy moments sprinkled in with the crappy ones.

A quick recap of the less-than-spectacular summer moments in Kidwell household...

  • Lockheed Strike -  Finally over thank goodness...but not without some serious overtime hours by the hubby AND a work related injury.  See next bullet point.

  • Hubby's broken wrist/surgery -  Got to be careful of that moving machinery at work, you never know when you might get bucked off AND have to have surgery to repair.  Sigh...

  • Zak - Speeding Ticket (Shhhh...haven't told his grandparents yet)

  • Too many household repairs to list here -- most not even completed yet!

  • Cameron broken wrist/surgery -  Yes, you are reading that correctly.  Not one but two broken wrists AND surgeries in the family in less than three months!  Cameron had surgery last Friday and had to have a plate placed in his wrist.  Ten years playing 4 different sports without a major injury...one day at band camp and bingo...down for the count!
There are many more items that I could include in this little list but let's face it some of them had to be excluded to protect the innocent and some I have chosen to block from my mind to protect myself. 

Life can be hard, life can be cruel and right now the biggest reality check of all is that my dad is facing an uphill battle with this stupid cancer and the after affects of treatment.  It's not fair that MRI's, CSF draws and scans show 'no cancer cells' present YET the result is a ravaged body and mind.  Why this outcome?  What is the point of getting rid of the cancer if it means getting rid of the person you once were?  I fear that while the cancer is gone so might be the reality of my dad returning to be the man I know and love.  I watch as slowly each day we face a new obstacle in his 'recovery'.   It's too late to place blame and point fingers....but I want answers.  I want to know that with time he will FULLY recover, that he will be strong and independent and that he will be certain of his surroundings and the love that we all have for him. 

Until then, our reality is that everyday brings a new reality, new challenges and sometimes new tears.  To quote one of my favorite movies...
'Laughter through tears is my favorite emotion'.   The tears part is easy...it's the laughing part that needs some work. So I'm going to do my best to see the good, the happy and the funny in each day.

We're not doubting that God will do the best for us, we're wondering how painful the best will turn out to be." -CS Lewis

Did I mention that I tend to stess eat?  Yep, it can be ugly people.  And yes I type that as I am devouring a large bag of Mint M&M's Amy Lou presented me with yesterday.   So be on the lookout for a new reality show:  Say Yes to the Extra Large Dress!




No comments:

Post a Comment