Thursday, January 19, 2012

Milestones, Memories and Miracles!

Am I the only one that relies on certain milestones in life to be able to recall certain events or memories?   I bet not!   Especially those big milestones like High School Graduations, Weddings, and Births, etc.   It’s funny how many things I can only recall the time or year it happened because of a particular event….such as after I got married, before Zak was born, or after we moved into our new house. I can also determine the year because of the hairstyle in the picture or what car was being driven! 
That’s kind of how it is when it comes to dad’s cancer diagnosis.  I very clearly remember the date that we began his first bout with cancer… 2/14/2006 - Valentine’s Day.   Not being one to frequent the doctor’s office, we knew Dad was not feeling well when he finally agreed to see the doctor.  I remember receiving the call from my mom telling me that they were sending him to ER, thinking that maybe it was his gallbladder.  Instead, we soon learned that he was facing a fight with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma.  To complicate matters he had to have an emergency hernia surgery after his first chemo-treatment which was to say the least, an inopportune time for surgery.  The ER physician that saw him before surgery was so callous and cold with his choice of words that I often suggested waltzing Dad back down through the ER after his recovery so this doctor could witness what a real miracle looked like!   That’s right….my dad is a miracle man!  He finished his chemo and we were informed very near Father’s Day that he was in remission…what a gift!   Another milestone!  As time moves on and we share stories or recall certain events, I often remember them happening before Dad’s cancer or after his remission.   Of course there are many other milestones that have occurred in our family since that time that I also use to mark time...such as my 40th birthday, Zak getting his driver’s license, Cameron getting glasses, etc.  
Five years later and we are marking another milestone.  Dad began facing his second battle with cancer on November 4, 2011.  Since that time he has bravely endured the many scans, MRI’s, a bone marrow biopsy, a brain biopsy, chest port, ommaya reservoir placement, in-patient chemotherapy treatments, multiple blood draws, urine collection, not to mention the less than stellar hospital food and the nights of interrupted sleep.   He is my hero…facing it like a champ!  One day at a time, one appointment at a time and now what seems like one set-back at a time.  The chemo drug used for this type of cancer is not for the faint of heart. It means business and is now wreaking some havoc with his blood counts.  As we sit at this crossroad waiting to see what the next treatments steps will be, I can’t help but wonder what day this next miracle will take place.   You see, I am not just hoping, but praying for his healing.        I have faith it will come.  I am EXPECTING A MIRACLE!    This miracle will mark another milestone and wouldn’t it be nice if we could bookend his beginning and ending of cancer with the same date?  Sounds good to me – February 14th sounds like a great remission date!  
I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and in his word I put my hope!  Psalm 130:5


No comments:

Post a Comment