Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Food, Furniture, Fun & Family!

Now this blog was originally started to chronicle my journey through dad's battle with the C-word...cancer!  And while most of my posts to date have been a little more on the serious side I think it should be noted that my family also uses humor to cope with the situation.  My sister, Amy Lou-Who as I refer to her these days, termed some of my dad's funnier moments as 'Tumor Humor'.  So I'll share a few tidbits that I personally have found a little funny as we embark on dad's third hospital tour for Chemo treatment. 

First, there is Food!  Anyone that knows my mom knows that she is the ultimate hostess.  She will always have refreshments to offer if you visit her house and rest assured there has not been an individual yet to leave her house hungry!  Lest ye be hungry when you visit the hospital she has prepared her own traveling pantry to make sure that you do not go without food or drink!  No need to grab change for the vending machine...just check out the nightstand for a variety of stashed goodies! 

Speaking of nightstands....it appears that the hospital is putting some of their annual budget to good use and will be replacing furniture!  They removed the night stand today to bring in a new one....or maybe that was done under false pretense so they could check out the goody stash!  Nah...it was legit furniture replacement.  They also brought in new chairs!  Finally a decent reclining chair that mom can use to kick back and get her snooze on!  Though I did hear some begging and pleading had to be done in order to get an extra visitor chair...don't those people know that Pop is a popular man who has a traveling entourage!  Someone usually ends up sitting at the end of his bed....the bed that breathes!  I'm not sure why it's called a mattress because it is anything but cushy...just ask dad...he will tell you.  He will tell you loudly, repeatedly and frankly just how uncomfortable that piece of, I mean that mattress is!  At least he has the love and presence of his family to keep him happy while there...and the nurses and techs LOVE us, we make their jobs much easier! 

Nurse Amy Lou-Who has been with him this week while she is out of school and will be taking on the night shift tonight.  I'm so thankful she can be there this week.  She serves as company for mom, support for dad and ears for what the doctors have to say.  Of course she is also racking up the favorite daughter points too!  LOL!  We have joked forever about being the 'favorite daughter'.  Now she appears to be gunning for my favorite daughter status!  Seriously, she totally threw me under the bus by telling him I dropped the ball with not bringing him Nilla Wafers.  What??  Since I was told only to pick some up IF I got out and that he still had a half a box I thought I was safe in getting them later.  It was certainly safe to other shoppers who I promise would not have wanted to see me minus make-up that particular day!  Alas, we both know who the favorite daughter is...whoever is with him at the moment.  :)   In all seriousness we love our mom and dad and they love us and that is all that matters! 

So as we continue on this journey you can be sure there will be plenty of FOOD..food to be shared if you need a little snack to hold you over until dinner, there will be FURNITURE...maybe not the most comfortable ever made but a place to rest his head (or your bottom), FUN...trying to find the positive in every situation and FAMILY...we will always have each other!  And most importantly our FAITH to carry us through!

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.
Hebrews 11:1

No comments:

Post a Comment